My new blog
9 Aug 09
"There is no reciprocity. Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters."
—Alice Thomas Ellis
29 Mar 09
Honda Insight hitting U.S. dealerships now
California to reduce carbon emissions by banning black cars?
God DAMN California. We should model every state after you.
Tesla Model S: $50,000 EV sedan seats seven, 300-mile range, 0-60 in 5.5s
Making a seven-seater car for the first sedan is also brilliant. And after a super sporty car. Very clever them guys there...
7 Sep 08
Have I told you I don't believe in time? Cuz, you know, entropy.
'Forget those jerks in Detroit [major auto companies]. If we need someone big to build electric cars, BAE is perfect to do it: the building is a mile square, half empty, and already full of engineers. If it's profitable, we just need someone to tell them to do it.' -my awesome dad.
5 Sep 08
How We Make People Hate Linux
- By telling people how much their Windows computer sucks.
- Instead of helping a Windows user fix their computer, brag about how Linux doesn't have those problems.
- By being smug. Admit it. You've been smug.
- By bragging about how awesome Linux is, and then when someone tries it, and has problems, accuse them of being dumb.
- By pretending Linux has no shortcomings, and claiming other OSs are worthless.
Here's the deal: Everyone knows Windows has problems. Rubbing it in to Windows users won't make the like you (or your OS) any better. The end result should be that people want to use Linux, not that they're forced to use it because Windows breaks and no one will help them.
How to Make People Want Linux
- Fix their spyware problem. Share with them that spyware is one of the reasons you don't use Windows.
- Admit that using Linux has a learning curve, but it's one that you think is worthwhile.
- Show them Compiz. Microsoft marketed an entire operating system on worthless visual thrills. Compiz is free, and cooler.
- Give them a LiveCD. Offer to help them. Follow through on the offer.
- Remember Wubi, it's an easy way to try Linux.